Austin Cambridge A60
The Austin Cambridge A60 is one of a range of motor cars (A40, A50, A55, and A60) produced by the Austin Motor Company, in several generations, from September 1954 through to 1969 as cars and to 1971 as light commercials. Farina A60 model
The A55 Cambridge Mark II, known as the first “Farina” model because of its Pininfarina design, was produced from 1959 through to 1961. It was a rebadged Morris Oxford and retained the 1.5 litre B-Series engine, now with an SU carburettor, and producing 55 bhp. 1963 Brochure
An updated model called the Austin Cambridge A60 model, was introduced in October 1961. It included a new 1.6-litre version of the B-Series straight-four engine which had first been used in the MGA. Power is now 61 hp. Modified styling included side chrome stripes – some models with contrasting colour infills – and reduced fins on the rear wings. The style continued to be known as “Farina”. This body covered a chassis that was slightly longer in wheelbase and wider in track than the A55. This allowed three people to be accommodated on the rear seat. Anti-roll bars were added to both front and rear suspension. An estate version with the petrol engine, called the Countryman, was also offered.
Austin Cambridge A60 Diesel
A diesel version was introduced in 1961 for export cars and was available in the UK from 1962. Early manual models had the option of column gear change. The Borg Warner three-speed Type 35 automatic transmission was an option, the first British car to be fitted with this type, with the selector on the steering column. A 1.5-liter diesel option, mainly for the taxi trade, was introduced in November 1962. With only 40 hp, top speed was limited to 110 km/h (68 mph).
The Austin Cambridge A60 sold well, with 276,534 being built before production finally ended in 1969. Its intended successor, the front-wheel-drive Austin 1800 of 1964, did not affect sales, so Cambridge production was continued until April 1969 at the Morris plant at Cowley when the Austin Maxi took over production and the Morris Oxford version continued in production until 1971, when the Morris Marina was launched.
Assembled in Ireland
Austin Cambridge A60 saloons assembled in Ireland by Brittain Smith of Portobello, Dublin were identifiable by the use of Morris Oxford series VI tail-lights. The last of these were produced in 1970, and some were registered in 1971.
Used as Taxis in Hong Kong
The car was popular with the UK taxi trade, and had dominating popularity with the Hong Kong taxi trade. In 1967, taxi versions of the Austin Cambridge A60 accounted for nearly 17% of car sales, helping BMC to a total Hong Kong car market share of 28% in that year.
Both a manual and automatic version of the Austin Cambridge A60 were tested by The Motor magazine in 1961. The manual had a top speed of 80.4 mph (129.4 km/h). A touring fuel consumption of 25.1 miles per imperial gallon (11.3 L/100 km; 20.9 mpg‑US) was recorded. The automatic was slightly slower, with a top speed of 77.9 mph (125.4 km/h). A touring fuel consumption of 28.9 miles per imperial gallon (9.8 L/100 km; 24.1 mpg‑US) was recorded.